As I was mixing the ingredients together and doing usual cake making things…I was thinking, “This will bake for 55 minutes. Usually when things bake for a long time I forget about them and they get taken out a little late…La la la.” then I thought, “Wow, this is a lot of blueberries…I hope it turns out. I really don’t want to ruin so many blueberries…” So, I finished putting the cake together and I put it in in the oven, scheduling the time it should come out. I did some other things for awhile and, big surprise, I forgot about my cake. An hour and a half later I strolled casually into the kitchen and looked at the hot oven. Suddenly I remembered my cake…my blueberry crumbly cake. 😦 I was upset that I forgot about it but it ended up being fine, though maybe a little dry compared to how it could have been. Everyone so far has liked it, so I guess it’s fine. I’ll definitely make it again, though maybe the right way. Here’s the recipe, so try it out:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup Crisco, or other shortening/margarine/butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugars, flour and baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in the shortening 1 tsp at a time with a pastry cutter or fork. Press half the dough into the pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugars and cornstarch. Mix in the blueberries and pour the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake for 55 minutes (or whatever… 😉 ). Cool completely before cutting into pieces.